Plan to bring extra money for living expenses for the first month. You will need cash for food, transportation, and basic start up living costs to survive until your first paycheck, which could take up to a month depending on your start date. You may not work start working right away, it all depends on if we have snow. It is best to be prepared in case of an emergency.
Summer Clothing and Accessories
Be prepared to live and work in winter conditions. You should have the following items to help assist with the cold, wet, and harsh weather.
- Running/Hiking Shoes - You will want a pair of comfortable shoes that will allow you to hike and trek across mountain terrain (dirt, logs, rocks, brush, etc.)
- Hats and Sunglasses - Lake Tahoe + Truckee is very sunny and warm through the summer months. You will want to make sure you have a hat to protect your face and neck from the sun and sun glasses to protect you eyes all day.
- Bathing Suit - We are close to beautiful Lake Tahoe, Donner Lake and many other lakes that you will want to have a bathing suit to enjoy the water!
- Jackets + Layers - Although it is the summer, Truckee sits at 6,000' elevation and nights still do get very cold where you want to use a jacket and layers to keep warm.
- Water Bottle - Tahoe/Truckee has some of the cleanest drinking water in the world and you will want a re-usable water bottle to fill up.
Average Tahoe Temperatures
November - High 49°F / Low 20°F
December - High 42°F / Low 14°F
January - High 41°F / Low 14°F
February - High 42°F / Low 17°F
March - High 46°F / Low 22°F
April - High 53°F / Low 26°F
May - High 64°F / Low 31°F
June - High 74°F / Low 36°F
July - High 84°F / Low 41°F
August - High 82°F / Low 40°F
September - High 75°F / Low 34°F
October - High 64°F / Low 27°F
||Great selection of outdoor apparel & base layers.
||2225 Harvard Way
||Great store for anything sports- or outdoor-related.
||1200 Scheels Dr.
||Clothing, shoes, groceries, health & beauty, superstore.
||4855 Kietzke Ln.
||Clothing, shoes, health & beauty, general supplies.
||6845 Sierra Center Pkwy.
|The North Face, Butterbox, 001 Oakley, True North, Burton, Patagonia
||Snow boots, jackets, pants, socks, beanies, variety of winter apparel.
||The Village at Northstar
5001 Northstar Dr.
|Safeway, Rite Aid, Ace Hardware
||Basic snow boots, limited selection of snow pants and snow clothing.
||Stores in Truckee, CA
& King's Beach, CA
$ - Inexpensive ($5 - $50)
$$ - Affordable ($50 - $125)
$$$ - Expensive ($125+)
**Other Target and Walmart Reno locations available
» Back to main page