Dear parents and Athletes:
Unfortunately, there still seems to be some confusion regarding the start date for the Tahoe League Team. We will start on Saturday, December 7. Meeting time will be 8:30 AM at the bottom of Vista Chair (Mid Lodge). We will plan to ski a full day.
Our first day will consist of some free skiing, some light drills and some time spent evaluating everyone's skiing. The primary focus of the day is for everyone to find their ski legs. As always, please remember that snow and weather conditions can change the best of plans.
On Saturday, there will be a few things to remember.
1. Everyone will need to come prepared for lunch, either a sack lunch or be ready to purchase a lunch.
2. All athletes should have some form of back pack, items to include are, extra dry and warm clothes and gloves, a water bottle and snacks,
and some kind of rain protection (either a poncho or garbage bag, etc). Please remember that we will ski in most all weather conditions.
3. Equipment: Please bring the appropriate skis for the day, For the first day, please use the skis your athlete is most comfortable on.
Now is also a good time to check that bindings are properly adjusted (proper DIN setting and boot fit to binding) and that skis have been
waxed and tuned, a tuned and waxed ski will not only perform properly, but will be more fun to ski on.
4. For anyone arriving late, please have your athlete wait or lap Vista Chair. If arriving later in the day, please make contact so we can
arrange for meeting.
5. Athlete release will be at 2:30, again at the bottom of Vista Chair.
Please pay attention to your e-mails this week as there will be more information to come. We are supposed to receive snow this week and colder weather. A good place to check weather is www.opensnow.com.
Also, it is often a good idea to check the Northstar cams and snow stake, if concerned about current weather conditions.
Any last minute questions--please send an e-mail, I will try to get you an answer.
Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting out on the snow and have fun!!
Northstar Ski Team
Welcome to the 2013-14 Tahoe League Team,
For those that do not know me, my name is Jim Sommer, and I am the lead coach for the Tahoe League Team. This will be my 4th season as a coach with the Northstar Ski Team. Our two other coaches for the team will again be Mikey Kruck and Michael Chase. We have all been involved with this team in years past.
For those that were members of the last year's team, you will notice the name change. After much consideration we decided to call ourselves the Tahoe League Team, as this seems to best fit our program's emphasis and goals. Our quest is to produce the best race athletes (while still having fun), whose primary goal is success in Tahoe League racing. We will always encourage those athletes just beginning to race as well as those athletes whose goal is to move on to the Comp Team. The primary emphasis is to develop all of our athlete's skiing skills to the highest level possible, so that they can enjoy a lifetime of skiing.
First day of training this year will be on Saturday, December 7. Early season skiing will be dedicated to evaluating skiing fundamentals and raising everyone's skiing skills. We will free ski, work on technique and hopefully enjoy some powder days. It is critical for all athletes to attend as many of these early season training days as possible, for these are the foundation that the rest of season will be built upon. Once we approach the Holiday Training Block, emphasis will begin to shift towards race training.
There will be much more information to follow, as we approach our first day. I encourage all to get as many days on snow before training starts as you can!! Go out and enjoy!!!
A few administrative things to mention:
1. I will soon be using a new e-mail address through the Northstar Ski Team foundation. This is not set up quite yet and I will notify everyone of the change. Most of my communication is through e-mail, I do, however, plan to use the Team Hotline for weather and last minute changes or updates (more to follow).
2. If there are additional e-mail address that you like add to the mailing list, please submit them to me for update.
3. If your athlete is in need of skis or equipment, or you have some of last years equipment that you need to get out of the garage, there is a new web site (www.northstarswap.org) that is dedicated to trying to help find and exchange equipment.
4. If you need ski wax for the season, I can connect you with a Dominator representative for ski wax at Team prices.
5. All athletes skis should be tuned and waxed and ready for the first day of training. If your athlete has grown substantially or has new equipment for the season, please make sure that everything fits and that the bindings are adjusted correctly.
6. Along the same lines, all athletes will need some kind of backpack, to carry such things as foul weather gear, dry gloves, lunch, water bottle, etc. Please make sure that your athletes are properly dressed for the weather, the goal being to keep everyone happy and warm (and healthy!) and having fun. Also remember that helmets are required at all times and during gate training drills, specialized protective gear may be required or recommended (slalom). If you have any questions or concerns we can meet at the beginning of the season.
7. If your athlete has any allergies to food or medicines that we need to know about, please let us know, everything will be held in the strictest confidence.
All for now, "pray for snow", and hope to see all very soon.
Coach, Tahoe League Team
Northstar Ski Team